Snowshoeing is a great way to take in the beautiful views of the Breckenridge backcountry. Explore the area and enjoy some peace and quiet as you take a moment to step away from all the chaos of our daily lives. It’s a great way to get your heart rate up and you might even encounter some wildlife in the area including moose, elk, deer, fox, and more!
This sport is something that is economical, eco-friendly, and it gives you the opportunity to truly appreciate Mother Nature. The beauty and solitude of Colorado’s wilderness in the winter is something to behold. What’s better is that no technical ability, expensive gear, lift tickets, or years of training is necessary.
From groomed trails and guided tours to snowshoeing through the powder in the backcountry, Breckenridge has plenty of opportunity to get out there. Here’s some more information on where to go.
Breckenridge Nordic Center
Breckenridge Nordic Center is the perfect place to get out and about in the wilderness. Located right on Peak 8, it’s easily accessible and has a wide variety of snowshoeing options. They’ve got both guided and self-guided tours available for all ages and ability levels.
Rates And Snowshoeing Tour Options At Breckenridge Nordic Center
Self-Guided Snowshoe Adventure
Navigate the well marked trails at the Breckenridge Nordic Center. It’s open daily from 9am to 4pm, so go whenever is convenient for you! Bring your own gear, or rent it there.
Guided Snowshoe Adventures
All Guided Adventures include water, hot cocoa, and a little history lesson of Breckenridge and the surrounding area. Each guide will give you information on the local ecology and geology of Summit County. It’s more than just a snowshoe hike, it’s a physical and cultural exploration of the beautiful Colorado Rocky Mountains.
Guided Group Snowshoe Adventures
- Scheduled daily at 10:30 am and 12:30 pm
- 1.25 hour long excursion
- Max group size of 7 people
- Traverse the Cucumber Gulch Preserve
- Adults: $50
- Youth and Seniors: $45
- Trail Pass included, rentals are an additional $20
- No children under 14 on group tours
- Group of 5 or more will be booked as semi-private tours
- 2 to 3 hour tours will be booked as semi-private or private tours
Guided Private Adventures
- Have an experience customized for your group
- Great for new snowshoers to get comfortable
- Adults: $75
- Seniors: $70
- All Youth are asked to book a semi-private with a chaperone
- Call for pricing on 2.25 and 3.25 hour tours
- Trail pass included, adult rentals are an additional $22
Guided Semi-Private Adventures
- Ideal for larger groups and families
- Dedicated guide that will cater to the groups needs
- Young children welcome—child pull sleds available to rent for towing little ones
- No charge for children in sled accompanied by a parent
- Max group size of 7
- Adults: $65
- Youth and Seniors: $60
- Call for pricing on 2.25 and 3.25 hour tours
- Trail pass included, rentals are $22 for adults and $17 for senior/youth
Guided Evening Adventures
- Evening Tours offered per request
- Best within one week of a full moon
- Two hours in length, beginning at 7pm
- Adults: $75/person, rentals included
- Seniors and Youth: $70/person, rentals included
- Advanced payment is required for all evening bookings
- Children under 7 are not recommended, but may be considered due to colder temperatures
- BNC staff may contact you in the unlikely event that weather conditions would be unsuitable for an outdoor evening adventure
Reservation And Cancellation Policy For Breckenridge
Reservations are required for guided snowshoe and lessons. A $20 per person, non-refundable deposit will be taken with a credit card number at the time of your confirmed booking. You can book online at www.breckenridgenordic.com or you can call them at 970.453.6855.
The cancellation policy for Breckenridge Nordic Center says that if you cancel within 12 to 24 hours in advance, they will keep your deposit. However, you may reschedule for another date and time for up to 1 year.
The Gold Run Nordic Center
Gold Run Nordic Center is another great place to go for a winter walk in the woods. They offer guided and self-guided tours as well as rentals. No matter what age or ability level, they have plenty of options for one and all!
Tours And Rates For Gold Run Nordic Center
Snowshoe Rentals & Purchases
- Snowshoe Package Rental (snowshoes, boots, poles): $20
- Boots Only: $6
- Poles Only: $2
- Snowshoes Only: $20
Guided Snowshoe Tours (Ages 7 & Up)
Learn about local mining history, wildlife, and nature from the knowledgeable guides. Enjoy mountain vistas and scenic mining relics in this one on one tour offered daily at 11:30 am. Call them at 970.547.7889 for pricing.
Snowshoe Tour With A Guide: Jessie Mill
The family-oriented Jessie Mill tour explores gentle rolling terrain at a leisurely pace. Learn about the Golden Horseshoe mining district, local flora and fauna, and more. Jessie Mill tours are offered everyday except Sundays and Wednesdays. This is the most gentle tour and lasts about 1.5 hours. Rentals are available for half price. Dates for this excursion go from December 6 to March 28. Pricing is $35 for the first person and $20 for each additional person.
Snowshoe Tour With A Guide: Overlook
The Overlook Adventure is a smily-friendly tour that takes you past the Jessie Mill and on to the historic town of Preston. See spectacular views of the Ten Mile Range from the Jumbo Mine on this moderately strenuous tour. You will traverse substantial single track through the forest with 600 feet of elevation gain over 2.5 hours. Rentals are available for half price. The Overlook Tour is offered on Sundays and Wednesdays. This tour runs from December 6 to March 28. Pricing is $45 for the first person and $30 for each additional person.
Full Moon Snowshoe Tour (All Ages)
An awesome and unique adventure you shouldn’t miss! Take a guided tour under the full moon and explore the evening forest. Search for various nocturnal wildlife and find your way with nothing but the light of the moon glistening off the snow-covered trails. The cost is $25 and includes snowshoes. Children are 50% off with a paying adult. Post hike, return to the clubhouse for some socializing and a light meal.
New Moon Snowshoe Tour (All Ages)
Experience the wilderness up close and personal, in total darkness under the new moon! The experienced guides at Gold Run will provide you with historical and environmental insights into the local Breckenridge habitat. Climb the gentle terrain and spot wildlife with nothing but your headlamp on and beautiful stars in the night sky. Snowshoes, headlamps, and a light meal are all provided and children are 50% off with a paying adult.
Reservations And Cancellations For Gold Run Nordic Center
Reservations can be made very easily using the Gold Run Nordic Center online site. Or, call and speak to an expert about which tour is best for your whole group. Their phone number is 970.547.7889.
Cancellations are non-refundable if cancelled within 24 hours.
For more information, please visit their website at www.breckenridgerecreation.com.